Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Badbea Boys Make Models



Written by Alexander Gunn aka A Native of Badbea. Printed in the Northern Ensign, March 23, 1882. Part B


“I, too, tried my hand, but on another branch of mechanics, viz, mill-making. There was a drain or ditch which ran along the face of the hill near our house, and I fixed on a site for a mill in the side of this drain. I made all the machinery, with water-wheel, inner or cog wheel, grinding stones, with cases to enclose them in, hopper, and everything complete for a meal-mill; and in imitation of Berriedale Mill I fixed a circular saw, made from the bottom of an old jug, to a bench, and put it in motion by water power. I got the machinery all fitted up in its proper place. I used to cut up “Kail-runts” with my circular saw, and I also ground meal seeds in the mill, every part of which acted as perfect as if it had been put together by the hands of the most skilled mill-wright in the county. One morning, however, on visiting my mill, I found it was all swept away during the night by a spate which came down the drain, and to my great sorrow my labour was all lost”.

“I also built a model boat about 18 inches in length. She was clinker built, and everything about her was as complete as if she had been 40 feet – flooring boards, feet-spans, side-planks, pump, masts, sails, oars, everything to the anchor, which was made of lead". 

Project Gutenberg's Boys' Book of Model Boats, by Raymond Francis Yates

"Boat making was a great trade among the youths, made from solid block, and it was surprising how well they sailed. There was a small pond up in the hills, on which we sailed our craft, this being our exercise when herding the town’s cattle. If the poor animals had been endowed with human speech, like Balaam’s ass, they would have protested against being confined to such a circumscribed portion of the hill; but what they were not able to put into words were clearly observable in the empty sides with which they returned home at night, and which was sometimes noticed by my father, who improved the occasion by applying the end of a buoy-rope to a certain part of the person, which caused rather an unpleasant sensation”.


No comments:

Post a Comment